In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, also sprach Jerry Peek:

>In nmh, multiple users can share the same mail folder.  Each user
>typically has their own private context for that shared folder stored
>in their own $HOME/Mail/context file.  So different users can see a
>different view of that folder's sequences.

True.  This argues for sequence tagging based upon a user ID.  Thanks for
mentioning this; I'd probably have missed it.

>Then there's the question of a "session": doesn't IMAP have the idea
>of "logging on" or "connecting" to an IMAP store for some period of
>time, and preserving the state of that session while the user is
>logged on?

Ugh.  This is much harder to deal with.  Superficially it seems like an easy
problem: Just handle session-related stuff in the backend.  However, there's
an essential difference in how IMAP and nmh deal with things at an atomicity
level.  A high-overhead solution is to open up an IMAP session for each
command and then close it, but that doesn't necessarily solve the problem of
simultaneous processes accessing the same IMAP folder/message.

I think IMAP does address your concerns about persistent state storage
between sessions, but I'll check.  It does not do it by allowing arbitrary
file uploads (imapfs, anyone? :), but I think tags do persist.

JCR
--
Observed by Jeff Cooper:
"Headline in the _Arizona Republic_: