>I usually have a line, 'n...@dad.org', in my drafts. I do that instead of
>something like 'fcc: inbox', because I want to see what my Email looks like
>after it has gone through the net. But sometimes I forget to otherwise address
>the message. But then send will just go ahead and send the message, instead of
>balking, as it would if I used fcc instead of cc.

I think the simplest thing to do would be to write a custom postproc
and use it to interrogate the draft (using scan(1)) to make sure it was
the way you want.  Like if the To: line was blank, exit with a sensible
error message.  If you were happy with it, call the real post.

I've attached the sample postproc I put in the nmh contrib directory;
it's job is to change the switches to post depending on the from line,
but you could use it to see if there's something in the To: header.

--Ken
#!/bin/sh
#
# localpostproc - A sample postproc which changes the submission email server
#		  based on user-supplied criteria.
#
# The basic concept is that we change where we submit mail to based on the
# message contents.  We use scan(1) to get out fields we care about.  But
# really, you could use ANY criteria, such as environment variables,
# recipients, etc etc.
#

#
# Find out which message is the draft message; yes, this sucks.
#
# The case statement has to know about switches that take arguments;
# add to this list as necessary.
#

whom=0

find_draftmessage() {
	while test $# -gt 0; do
		case "$1" in
		-al* | -filt* | -wi* | -client | -idanno | -server | \
		-partno | -saslmech | -user | -por* | -width | \
		-file* | -mhl* | -mt* | -cr* | -lib* | -auth* | -sendmail)
			shift
			;;
		-whom)
			whom=1
			;;
		-*)	;;
		*)
			draftmessage="$1"
			return 0
			;;
		esac
		shift
	done

	echo "Cannot find draft message name in argument list"
	exit 1
}

realpost="$(mhparam libdir)/post"

if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
	echo "Usage: [post switches] filename"
	exit 1
fi

find_draftmessage "$@"

if [ $whom -eq 1 ]; then
	exec "$realpost" "$@"
fi

fromhost=$(scan -format '%<{resent-from}%(host{resent-from})%|%(host{from})%>' -file "$draftmessage")

if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
	echo "Unable to run scan on draft file $draftmessage, aborting"
	exit 1
fi

if [ -z "$fromhost" ]; then
	echo "Could not determine hostname of From: address"
	exit 1;
fi

#
# Here we use the hostname in the "from" address, but you could use anything
#

case "$fromhost" in
	*host1.com)
	postflags="-server smtp.host1.com -sasl -port submission"
	;;

	host2.com)
	postflags="-server smtp.host2.com -sasl -tls -port submission"
	;;

	*)
	echo "Don't know how to send email from $fromhost"
	exit 1
	;;
esac

exec "$realpost" $postflags "$@"