>The script seems to suggest that when postproc is invoked by whom,
>postproc will have an argument, "-when". But I can't find anything about
>that it 'man post' or in "man whom", so I am clearly confused.

I think you mean '-whom'.  And yes, that is true.  And yes, it's not
documented either; I learned that the hard way.

Traditionally there have been a lot of these "internal" switches used by
programs to pass down information between various (n)mh programs.  We've
slowly been documenting them; we haven't got them all.  There are also
a bunch of environment variables used; I think those are documented.

--Ken