> Even if you leave some of the money in an income bucket, it's still
> accounted for--in fact this is how I ensure I have a buffer--I just
> allocate to my expense buckets less than I bring in each month.  How
> do you ensure that your buffer grows?

Blair,

I think I might have switched the meaning of "buffer" on you, sorry. I
was basically describing savings as a buffer for any data entry
errors. If a mistake made me think I had more money to spend than I
intended, then this would be absorbed by savings. Since I save some
every month (the Savings bucket is part of my paycheck's Spending
Plan), my savings is always growing, thus a more fantastic error can
be absorbed (not that I expect this to happen).

I actually don't allocate every penny of income, much like you
describe, and leave that for discretionary manual allocating. It's
nice to have this little bit in case I need to do some cleanup at the
end of the month. And if I don't use it, that just means more for the
next month. It's only a few dollars, though. There are a lot of neat
ways to "trick" yourself into saving more, or into feeling like you
have more to spend. :)