Lance,

You raise some good points, and I started to realize that simple Smart
Buckets wouldn't be the ideal solution as I was typing it out;
however...

Rather than querying money flows, which would probably be rather
complex, I think that the same thing could be achieved if Smart
Buckets allowed you to add or subtract selected bucket totals (buckets
could be selected by name or by dollar amount) to the displayed Smart
Bucket total.  This should capture the desired money flows, and would
likely be easier to use.

So, the Smart Bucket would allow you to select which transactions you
want displayed, and if you want to adjust the total of those
transactions by a specified amount or specified bucket balances, or
both.  This would allow a person to check their document (accounts
balances = bucket balances) as well as check for how much you have
overspent.  You could verify that this is less than a Buffer or
savings bucket, or a preplanned buffer that you included when first
setting up the initial cash flow.

In any case, I think you're right, even Smart Buckets (without
displaying totals that can be adjusted by bucket balances or
moneyflows) wouldn't completely automate the process of ensuring the
document is in balance, but it would eliminate several steps.

Blair