Come on Chris, you know fine well who is responsible a and so do the
   others on this list. Sounding off at bairns themselves certainly wonat
   bring about a process of reflection and correction. As for your
   comments re the 4^th year piping student, it should be made clear that
   the only "main study" piping student to have come through the Degree
   Course so far has just entered their 4^th year. I am their tutor and
   they certainly know where to put the beat on a jig. Not only that, they
   are aware that a bar of 6 quavers would be played in 5 different time
   values in the north Northumbrian Tradition. Students come on to the
   course from a wide variety of backgrounds and some are encouraged to
   take up a new second instrument such as the pipes as a minor part of
   their studies. You were obviously brought in to help with this process
   and Iam sure you taught them brilliantly so that by the end of the
   course they did know where the beat lay in a jig!

   The Sage Gateshead, like all huge organisations, is far from perfect
   but intemperate outbursts wonat persuade the people at the top to
   change things. I am quietly arguing the case to bring a more consistent
   approach to the piping classes so the for the first time in 4 years we
   can guarantee some continuity for Caedmon participants.

   As for enjoying mediocrity Iam afraid thatas exactly what I do. I love
   everyday attainable and sustainable things. I can only take stunning
   amazing things in small doses and this goes for music too. The sound of
   an everyday sort of player like Carolyn Dickson or Jimmy Little when I
   first moved to Alnwick filled me with warmth and an appreciation that
   there certainly was music beyond aI saw my Love Come Passing by Mea a
   still my favourite piece of all time but only a tiny part of what our
   tradition has to offer. When Joe and Hannah Hutton first came round for
   a music night I played that (or another Peacock tune) and Hannah just
   said very quietly, aI divvent [sic] like these pippy [sic] tunes you
   play Anthonya. I understood what she meant and took no offence. It is
   not a viable stance to insist that the only apropera way to play the
   pipes is the tight closed style of the Cloughs. A folk tradition, by
   definition, must be accessible to the vast majority of players and not
   the preserve of the extremely talented. I enjoy our music because at
   its roots it has a sharing communal quality to it that the virtuoso
   stuff doesnat have. I remember going to a Manitas de Plata concert in
   the 60s with a student who was learning classical guitar. The playing
   was exciting, truly mind-boggling but for me it palled after 20 minutes
   or so. The next day I asked him what he thought of it. He said he
   thought it was like aspitting on a sixpence at twenty yardsa; extremely
   clever and totally amazing but not very heart-warming or deeply
   refreshing. It is not mediocrity to see the aspitting on a sixpence at
   twenty yardsa aspect in some of the virtuoso material. To give a food
   analogy, Macdonaldas is appalling and Michelin Star places are beyond
   me. Just let me have good ordinary food a high quality mince and
   vegetables and decent bread etc. Iad be surprised to find Iam alone in
   enjoying these simple pleasures on a daily basis. As for the odd posh
   meal, I love them too but not as my staple diet a not sustainable for
   us ordinary folk!

   As aye

   Anthony