MICK McCARTHY'S TINY PAINTBRUSH

"And there's Mick McCarthy," said Jeff Stelling on Sky Sports' Soccer
Saturday as pictures showed a member of the backroom staff pouring
Babycham over the Wolves manager in the Molineux dressing room, "with a
big beaming smile on his face." But McCarthy wasn't smiling - he was
wincing and attempting to scrape the stinging fizzy booze out of his
eyes. Now that's what the Fiver calls a metaphor!

McCarthy is the sort of man to treat such doom-laden symbolism with the
same equanimity with which he treats all success and failure. The Wolves
manager is rumoured to go through three pairs of shoes a week and has a
loom in the Wolverhampton branch of Carpetright named in his honour so
firmly are his feet on the ground. As the gold and black-clad hordes
swarmed down from the terraces to celebrate Wolves'

promotion after victory against QPR on Saturday, the man whose superb
stewardship will see Wolves back in the Premier League next season kept
his powder so dry that it began absorbing moisture from the surrounding
areas.

"At the moment it's all 'yahoo' and 'ra ra ra'," he said in his most
downbeat Barnsley brogue, dipping his head to keep it out of the clouds.
"I'll feel it more when we wake up tomorrow, although if it has been
like it has over the last week I'll be up at 6am painting the garage."
(Which begs the questions, how big is his ruddy garage?  One that takes
a week of 6am wake-ups to paint? That must be a big garage. Like, a
seriously big garage. Or a seriously small paintbrush. But who'd use a
small paintbrush to paint a garage? Not the Fiver, that's for sure.)

But we digress. McCarthy probably ought to enjoy the yahooing and
ra-ra-raing while he can. The doom-mongers are never slow to predict a
promoted team's instant relegation, and the portents aren't good.

Last year's Championship champions? Relegated (well, as good as).

Last time Wolves were in the Premier League? Relegated. Last time
McCarthy was in the Premier League? Relegated. The Fiver, though, isn't
going to join in with the miserable bunch of negative nellies already
tipping Wolves for the drop. There's more than a hint of the

2006/07 Reading side about Wolves so we're expecting a mid-table finish
and several lessons for Hansen, Lawro and co on just how best to analyse
a game (http://guardian.chtah.com/a/tBJ7J5lAY30QpAe9jDFAUYNccfT/fvr14
<http://guardian.chtah.com/a/tBJ7J5lAY30QpAe9jDFAUYNccfT/fvr14> ).

Marcus Chantry

----------------------------------

Associate Director

New Product Development - Insurance

Macquarie Life

(d) 02 8232 4259

(m) 0448 887 627

Important Notice
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain
copyright material of Macquarie or any of its subsidiaries or third
parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email you should
not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or
any attachments, and should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie does
not guarantee the integrity of any emails or any attached files. The
views or opinions expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the
views or opinions of Macquarie.

The information contained in this email is confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the information in this email
in any way and should destroy any copies. Macquarie does not guarantee the
integrity of any emails or attached files. The views or opinions expressed are
the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie.