On 5/7/2023 11:29 AM, Mojca Miklavec via ntg-context wrote:
On Sun, 7 May 2023 at 11:11, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:

And what’s the abbreviation for Theodores?

I assume it must be "tr", though it's somewhat ambiguous what the "r"
in "tr" stands for, it seems to be country-dependent ;)
The problem with introducing the theodore is that it introduces another 'male name' unit while actually the new ones got 'female names' in order to counter the didot and cicero (and dk although we considere that a neutral unit), which was one of the projects objectives.

Okay, we can from now on assume the 'mm' to be the Mojca which is also more officient: 4 mojcas instead of 4 millimeters. It's a downward compatible change (only in the documentation). Then we can introduce the tr as precisely 5 es, a kind of snaposhot unit, whgich makes me wonder, as the theodore eventually will come close to a foot we might have a \thfactor then that starts out at 5. We can decide at the ctx meeting.

(In case one wonders: because internally tex works with fractions mm/cm and ts/es (/tr) make sense.)

(As explained during the presentation, adding units to luametatex is not really putting a (performance) burden on this engine. In pdftex and luatex it would have an impact, although in luatex somewhat less because we prioritize our favourite units anyway.)