Thank you, Taco.

currently I found one way to speed up font loading:

\synchronizemathfontsfalse
\let\synchronizetext\relax
\starttypescript[serif] [myzhfont]
 \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [file:SimSun]
\stoptypescript
\definetypeface [myzhfont] [rm] [serif][myzhfont]   [default]
\def\a{\myzhfont}
\dorecurse{10000}{{hello {\a 你好}}\par}
\bye

TeXExec | runtime: 10.172
much faster, but still far slower than \definefont.

this reminds me another possible bug in ConTeXt:

Test1:

\definetypeface[iwona][ss][sans] [iwona] [default]
\definetypeface[iwona][mm][math] [iwona] [default][text=ss]
\setupbodyfont[iwona]
\starttext
foobar
\stoptext

runtime= 6.625. There is a 5 seconds pause after loading
(c:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-xet.tex)

But I don't know what xetex is loading.

Test 2:

\definetypeface[iwona][ss][sans] [iwona] [default]
%\definetypeface[iwona][mm][math] [iwona] [default][text=ss]
\setupbodyfont[iwona]
\starttext
foobar
\stoptext

I only comment the math defination line. now
runetime = 0.969

Test 3:

move the three lines to context.rme,
\definetypeface[iwona][ss][sans] [iwona] [default]
\definetypeface[iwona][mm][math] [iwona] [default][text=ss]
\setupbodyfont[iwona]
then rebuild the format.
note we also load the math font. but one thing is clear: Hans said
unlike plain TeX and LaTeX, font tfm is not dumped into ConTeXt
format.
However, at this time we compile
\starttext
foobar
\stoptext

runtime =0.875

I don't know the reason for this problem too....
I think XeTeX load math tfms quite fast. (it should be even faster
than otf loading, but in xecontext, this is not true).

Yue Wang