On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Yue Wang wrote:
>

>> moreover, can you tell me why pdftex load these fonts so fast? (also 6
>> families * 3 sizes)
>
> i don't know; as the same code is used so it must be xetex itself then

Then let me tell you why: ConTeXt tries to load lmmono10-regular at
least 6 times, failed after two testing, then succeed in the end.
However, try to testing whether a loaded font is \nullfont or not is
quite slow in XeTeX (Jonathan already mentioned that in
\testFontIsAvailable). we should definately avoid that.
But why pdftex is so fast? because it does not involve font testing.

So why XeTeX is spending 6 seconds aimlessly? since ConTeXt asked it
to search for a non-existed font.

Yue Wang