2009/5/12 Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl>:
> Yue Wang wrote:
>> Thank you, Taco.
>>
>> currently I found one way to speed up font loading:
>>
>> \synchronizemathfontsfalse
>> \let\synchronizetext\relax
>> \starttypescript[serif] [myzhfont]
>>  \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [file:SimSun]
>> \stoptypescript
>> \definetypeface [myzhfont] [rm] [serif][myzhfont]   [default]
>> \def\a{\myzhfont}
>> \dorecurse{10000}{{hello {\a 你好}}\par}
>> \bye
>
> as wolfgang already pointed out, if you want fast fonts you should
> define them directly using \definefont

I have no speed gain while testing his example.

> if you disable bits and pieces of the setupbodyfont mechanism you will
> eventually run into problems, for instance because \tfd etc are not
> defined and your chapter titles etc will behave unexpected (sizes as
> well as when mixed with math)

You are right.

> in a regular document you only set up the bodyfont once (not 10000
> times) and then use \bf, \sl, \itc etc which are pretty fast

for multilingual typesetting this is different.
different fonts will be used for full-width punctuations,
cjk-characters (maybe also splict to ruby, kanji, hangul and hanzi),
cjk-exta, cjk-extb, and latin. for a not-so-long document (100 pages),
switching more than 100times/page is ordinary case.
Especially for educational documents (For example, English text book
for Chinese students)

>> TeXExec | runtime: 10.172
>> much faster, but still far slower than \definefont.
>>
>> this reminds me another possible bug in ConTeXt:
>
> as mentioned ... we're no talking bugs here but 'features' and side
> effects of them

ok. this is a feature that I don't like so much...

>> Test1:
>>
>> \definetypeface[iwona][ss][sans] [iwona] [default]
>> \definetypeface[iwona][mm][math] [iwona] [default][text=ss]
>> \setupbodyfont[iwona]
>> \starttext
>> foobar
>> \stoptext
>>
>> runtime= 6.625. There is a 5 seconds pause after loading
>> (c:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/spec-xet.tex)
>>
>> But I don't know what xetex is loading.
>
> fonts (like the sans and more noticeably math (6 families * 3 sizes = 18
> fonts at least)

but it's pretty fast on mac (only 1 second delay) on the same machine.
[mac do not use fontconfig for searching system fonts]
Strange uh? Well, I call it Windows features:)

moreover, can you tell me why pdftex load these fonts so fast? (also 6
families * 3 sizes)

>> Test 2:
>>
>> \definetypeface[iwona][ss][sans] [iwona] [default]
>> %\definetypeface[iwona][mm][math] [iwona] [default][text=ss]
>> \setupbodyfont[iwona]
>> \starttext
>> foobar
>> \stoptext
>>
>> I only comment the math defination line. now
>> runetime = 0.969
>
> right .. and as context is supposed to do math (keep in mind that some
> symbols come from math anyway) this is expected

ok.

>> Test 3:
>>
>> move the three lines to context.rme,
>> \definetypeface[iwona][ss][sans] [iwona] [default]
>> \definetypeface[iwona][mm][math] [iwona] [default][text=ss]
>> \setupbodyfont[iwona]
>> then rebuild the format.
>> note we also load the math font. but one thing is clear: Hans said
>> unlike plain TeX and LaTeX, font tfm is not dumped into ConTeXt
>> format.
>
> well, in this case you probably *did* force them in format; the normal
> default font (lm) is not in the format and loading is delayed

no. I did exactly the same as the default settings do.
you also use :
    \setupencoding[default=ec]
\usetypescript[fallback][\defaultencoding] \setupbodyfont[rm,12pt]
in cont-en.tex. also in context.tex:
\setupencoding[default=ec]
\usetypescript[fallback][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[rm,12pt]

So I am not forcing them into the format. actually the loading of
iwona is delayed to runtime.