On Wednesday 20 January 2010 10:10:07 Hans Hagen wrote:
> in principle we can even drop $ and & as we now have primitives for them

Can you explain? I ignore the primatives for $E=mc^2$.

Whereas Mojca regrets $$ $$, I have long prefered \startformula\stopformula
(or \begin{equation}\end{equation} if you like, as I sometimes still need to
use LaTeX).

I also much prefer
\framed {\relax
no leading space}
\framed {%
no leading space}
yet I do think that it would be a very bad idea to drop %

As to ugly source, I do agree that ``'' is not as pretty as “” (or is it ‟”, I
never know)

Character: “ U+201C
Name: LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
Annotations and Cross References
Alias names: double turned comma quotation mark
Notes: this is the preferred character (as opposed to ‟ U+201F DOUBLE HIGH-
REVERSED-9 QUOTATION MARK)
See also:
" U+0022 QUOTATION MARK
❝ U+275D HEAVY DOUBLE TURNED COMMA QUOTATION MARK ORNAMENT
〝 U+301D REVERSED DOUBLE PRIME QUOTATION MARK
General Character Properties
Block: General Punctuation
Unicode category: Punctuation, Initial Quote
Various Useful Representations
UTF-8: 0xE2 0x80 0x9C
UTF-16: 0x201C
C octal escaped UTF-8: \342\200\234
XML decimal entity: “

Character: ‟ U+201F
Name: DOUBLE HIGH-REVERSED-9 QUOTATION MARK
Annotations and Cross References
Alias names: double reversed comma quotation mark
Notes: has same semantic as “ U+201C LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK, but differs in
appearance
General Character Properties
Block: General Punctuation
Unicode category: Punctuation, Initial Quote
Various Useful Representations
UTF-8: 0xE2 0x80 0x9F
UTF-16: 0x201F
C octal escaped UTF-8: \342\200\237
XML decimal entity: ‟

Furthermore, some "editors" such as MS-Word break the source, substituting
RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK (Character: ’ U+2019) for
APOSTROPHE (Character: ' U+0027)
for some insane reason cited as the preferred character to be used for
apostrophe.

All of this is to stress that, whatever the new functionality added to
ConTeXt, the traditional TeX shorthands remain *very* useful for lots of users
and I suggest that they be retained. I'm not sure that I understand the
problem with ` (GRAVE ACCENT) that cannot be solved with a macro or by a
setting that disactivates the production of ‘ (LEFT SINGLE QUOTE MARK).

I see from LaTeX that: \`{} is a grave accent
works, as does: \`\ is a grave accent
but not: {\`} is a grave accent
or: \`  is a grave accent

Alan