On Wednesday 20 January 2010 08:04:43 Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> The problem is that all the latex and plain tex books promote
> the use of `` and '' and people that already use TeX are unlikely
> to change their habits (and most will not read the context manual
> as thoroughly as they should).

This is my concern. Whereas I do prefer \quotation{} being functionally
logical, after all the spirit of TeX, I also like unicode generalizations
(such as ± for \pm). Nevertheless, hard core TeX users as well as converts
from LaTeX *expect* ``'', --, ---, ..., etc. to work in ConTeXt. I assume that
the present discussion is useful and not simply controversial.

I ignore the mechanisms behind the different implementations (macro, fonts,
catcar, ...) and the problems that arise.

Concerning typesetting source code, I would suggest something as simple as
suspending ALL such tricks within \text{} and \starttyping\stoptyping (perhaps
parametrized). One could also define something like \shellescape{}, analogous
to \quotation{}, to typeset `echo "hello world"` and even \string{} to typeset
"string" or 'string', according to the programming language initialized.

What I also find disturbing is that *some* of these conventions are retained,
but not all.

Alan