On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:58, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> I'm not sure that I understand the
> problem with ` (GRAVE ACCENT) that cannot be solved with a macro or by a
> setting that disactivates the production of ‘ (LEFT SINGLE QUOTE MARK).

Try to process the following with XeTeX (I would be grateful if anyone
knew how to solve that particular problem; also note that some
hyphenation patterns don't work when ' is replaced by proper quotation
mark):

\font\a="[lmroman10-regular]"
\font\b="[lmroman10-regular]:mapping=tex-text"
\starttext
\a ``abc'' {\buildtextaccent\textgrave a}\par
\b ``abc'' {\buildtextaccent\textgrave a}
\stoptext

You can try to start playing with modifications of
texmf/fonts/misc/xetex/fontmapping/base/tex-text.map.

> I see from LaTeX that: \`{} is a grave accent
> works, as does: \`\ is a grave accent
> but not: {\`} is a grave accent
> or: \`  is a grave accent

This is true for (pdf)latex. Have you tried the same with XeLaTeX
using any Unicode font (not the default cmr)? I wanted to try it out,
but I don't know how to do it.

Side note: This is unrelated to the problem that I have mentioned.
What you are quoting is a matter of "input handling". The problem we
want to solve has to do with "font handling".

Mojca