On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 20:31:22 Mojca Miklavec wrote:
Let me be a bit more "nationalistic" and exaggerate a bit for a moment
(just in order to explain why I find the idea of using `` a bad one;
do not take the text below too seriously or personally):

I think that the easiest would be for everyone to use English :)
That's my bit for Imperialism!

As I write in a mixture of languages, I like to use \quotation{}.
But long-time TeX users have habits that die hard,
and just as we expect fl to yield fl, we also learn many "bad" tricks
such as ``'' and ...

- The deciding moment when some of these ugly tricks have been thrown
away was when we realized that if you do add those tricks, there is no
way to print the grave accent.

How about {\`} (untested)

No. It is not easy. See http://archive.contextgarden.net/thread/20060912.165653.90ce7552.en.html

In particular, see Taco's reply.