On Tue, Feb 09 2010, Sebastien Mengin wrote:

> Thanks for the link, I failed to use it, as I have a ConTeXt/luaTeX
> versions distributed by ubuntu/jaunty, which seems to be too old. I
> should update and give it a try -- later.

Hello Sebastien,

Anyway, it was not the latest version.

In the current version of MKIV, there is no support for language-specifics,
so there is actually no support for switching back from French to another
language.

> Did you have a look at the doc I posted yesterday?

Yes. I attach a recent t-french.tex file, that supports most of frenchb.

In detail:

> 1. the 1. paragraph of each section is indented (LATEX only);

Done.

> 2. the default items in itemize environment

Done.

> 3. vertical spacing in general LATEX lists is shortened;

Done in itemize list.

> 4. footnotes are displayed "à la française".

What is this?

> 1. French hyphenation patterns are made active;

Done.

> 2. `double punctuation' (: ; ! ?) is made active

Done.

> 3. \today prints the date in French;

The command is "\date".

> 4. the caption names are translated into French (LATEX only);

Done.

> 5. the space after \dots is removed in French.

There is no space.

> 1. French quotation marks

\quotation{...}

> 2. A command \up is provided

M\high{me}

> provided for ordinals: \ier, \iere, \iers, \ieres, \ieme, \iemes

Done.

> the macro \bsc (boxed small caps) does this, e.g., Leslie~\bsc{Lamport}

\Bsc{...}

> 4. Commands \primo, \secundo, \tertio and \quarto print 1o, 2o, 3o, 4o.
> \FrenchEnumerate{6} prints 6o.

No.

> obtained via the commands \No, \Nos, \no, \nos.

No.

> 6. Two commands are provided to typeset the symbol for \degre

No.

> the TEXbook p. 134). The command \DecimalMathComma makes the comma

\enablemathpunctuation
\disablemathpunctuation

> 8. A command \nombre was provided in 1.x versions to easily format numbers

\dorecurse6{
\setdigitmode \recurselevel\relax
\recurselevel: \digits{12.345,90} \digits{12.345.000} \digits{1,23}\par}

> 9. frenchb has been designed to take advantage of the xspace package

No.

Here a test file:

\usemodule[french]
\starttext
\section{test}
\Bsc{Test} \Bsc{Test}
\startitemize
\item 1\ier\ item
\item «bla»
\item bla
\stopitemize
\quotation{bla} hello: hello; hello? hello! \date
\stoptext

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/
%D \module

% This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
% modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
% as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
% of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

% This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
% but without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of
% merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.  See the
% GNU General Public License for more details.

%D This module tries to do similar things as the frenchb.ldf in LaTeX:
%D \startitemize
%D \item automatic space before » and after «, :, ?, ; and !
%D \item changing symbol for itemize environment
%D \item itemize environment packed
%D \item first paragraph of section indented
%D \item \type{\Bsc{}} macro
%D \stopitemize

\writestatus{loading}{Typesetting French documents}
\doifnotmode{mkiv}{\writestatus{error}{needs MKIV}\wait\end}

\setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation]
\setupitemize[symbol=2]
\setupitemize[packed]
\setupheads[indentnext=yes]
\setupindenting[yes, medium]
\lccode`\'=`\'

\mainlanguage[fr]

\ifx \ieme  \undefined \def\ieme  {\highordinalstr{e}}   \fi
\ifx \iemes \undefined \def\iemes {\highordinalstr{es}}  \fi
\ifx \ier   \undefined \def\ier   {\highordinalstr{er}}  \fi
\ifx \iere  \undefined \def\iere  {\highordinalstr{re}}  \fi
\ifx \iers  \undefined \def\iers  {\highordinalstr{ers}} \fi
\ifx \ieres \undefined \def\ieres {\highordinalstr{res}} \fi

\def\Bsc#1{\dontleavehmode\hbox{\sc#1}}

\doifnotmode{demo}{\endinput}

%D Usage example:
\def\myItems{%
  \startitemize
  \item test
  \item test
    \startitemize
    \item test
    \item test
      \startitemize
      \item test
      \item test
      \stopitemize
    \stopitemize
  \stopitemize}

\usemodule[french]

\starttext
Voilà: Voilà? Voilà! Voilà;
{\en some english text: «English» or \quotation{French}, ok?}
«voilà» \quote{voilà} \quotation{voilà}
\myItems
\en
\myItems