Marius:

> Try this one: http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/context-top-ten/cmds.pdf
> -> page 14

Thanks, but that looks like it's just some extracts from cont-eni
translated from Engijsh into Engrish along with a distracting
background that makes it hard to read.  The stuff about the not very
useful abbreviation command is there again, but I'm drawn to the
section about building a dictionary that says it's not about building
a dictionary.    It says:

"All you have to do is inserting a \index at whatever the phrase you
want to index is, and placeing a \placeindex where you want the
glossary to be."

and then goes on to describe and index, not a glossary, which seems to
require commands that need a lot of redundant arguments.  It also
contains this gem:

"Like many other ConTeXt command, users can define their own series of
indexing, which pluses the default \index series are called register."

That's the most remarkable thing I've read today.  Maybe I need to be
more clear.  A glossary is like a little dictionary in the back of a
book that defines the specialized words and phrases that the book uses
that might not be known to the general reader.  Here is a definition
of "glossary":

A collection of glosses; a list with explanations of abstruse,
antiquated, dialectal, or technical terms; a partial dictionary.

("Glosses" were little explanatory notes written in the margins of
medieval texts---the kind of thing I would do if Context's marginal
notes weren't incompatible with its columns.)

Ideally, I'd like a system where I could keep the entries in a bib
database or in a special .tex file.  The records would include the
headword and the gloss, and maybe a cross reference to the point in
the text that dealt with the headword definitively---the point where
the term was explained.  (A document that defines and explains the new
words and phrases it coins---imagine such a thing!)  It would be nice
if there were a command that would automatically link this point in
the text with the glossary entry.  LaTeX has several packages
(glosstex, gloss, glossary, glossaries) that do things like this.

To do this in Context, I will probably have to do it all manually,
defining a command to set an entry and then doing all the
alphabetization and cross-referencing by hand.

What I would really, really, like is to add short definitions to each
glossary record that could pop up as tooltips when the reader hovers
over an unfamiliar word.  Since there is no mechanism for glossaries
in Context, there is no mechanism to build this into, but I'm still
interested in doing it.  The idea is, I could write something like:

\gloss{strange word}{short definition}

The text would read "strange word".  When you hover over it with the
cursor, a tooltip would appear saying "short definition".  It would be
great if this were linked to a glossary mechanism so I wouldn't have
to keep writing the short definition---I could say something like:

\gloss{strange word}

and its short definition would be looked up automatically for the
tooltip.  The automatic reference to the word might look like this, in
the text:

\gref{strange word}

which would cause the page number at that point to be printed at the
end of the glossary entry for "strange word".