Hi,

In the process of providing an additional (more abstract) interface to some of the old and also new MetaFun code we wonder what kind of features users would like to see.

http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/mag-1104-mkiv.pdf

As a teaser I uploaded a MyWay document that shows some of what is coming. All is experimental but it shows the direction. We're talking ConTeXt LMTX here. For instance,

    draw lmt_outline [
        content       = "hello",
        kind          = "reverse",
        fillcolor     = "darkred",
        drawcolor     = "darkblue",
        rulethickness = 1/2,
    ] ysized h shifted (3.75h,-1.25h) ;

Wraps all the outline drawing in one macro with a set of options (there will be xml interface definitions for that). Or take:

    draw lmt_followtext [
        content = "How well does it work {\bf 1}! ",
        path    = (fullcircle scaled 4cm),
        trace   = true,
        spread  = true,
    ] ysized 5cm ;

which is an easier interface to text along a curve. Arrows can be drawn with

    draw lmt_arrow [
        kind        = "draw",
        location    = "middle",
        alternative = "curved",
        path        = fullcircle
            scaled  3cm
            shifted (3.5cm,0cm),
    ] withcolor "darkblue" ;

but of course the low level interface with its many variables for tweaking stays around. Other examples are shown in the mentioned document.

So the question is: What do you miss in metapost support? Of course it should fit within the concept, so 'artistic freehand drawings' is not something that is likely to get interfaced. We are particularly interested in educational applications, if only because ConTeXt started out that way.