I've always liked ESET, and when we dropped Symantec, ESET was quoted to be the least expensive of a bunch we looked at. The ERA appliance is great, but a self install on Linux was buggy as hell. Glad I moved to the Virtual Appliance. Their tech support is B+ in my opinion. Upgraded to an A- as they don't run screaming from Linux. Some of the best I've dealt with, the main failing is no real route back to devs if there's a bug, but in terms of using what's there and being aware of work-arounds - they're among the best I've ever interacted with.

They seem to be pretty effective, but then so was Symantec in our environment - we don't give out admin, and seem to have enough e-mail screening via Office 365 and central IT to really limit ransomware, followed by decent user culture of asking before clicking so there's not a lot of chances for it to step in. It does kill a few "driveby" unwanted applications for us, but we haven't (knock on wood) seen much real malware anyway.

So if you have to tick the box for AV, like we do, ESET is a pretty good choice IMO. The other obvious "tick the box" one would be Windows Defender if you don't have to be cross platform. However, I think ESET is more effective - but as others said, that's not a high bar.

I should point out, even the "traditional AV" isn't traditional AV anymore - ESET isn't just scanning against signatures. They have HIPS as well as behavior analysis and the like.

James Pulver
CLASSE Computer Group
Cornell University