For web surfing, I've always liked the phrase "at management's discretion". Also - I think you hit the nail on the head w/ "must not interfere with the performance of work duties and responsibilities". There is no way you can stop users from downloading files (if they need to be able to do their jobs). And they are not going to come to you for approval on every little attachment that comes in. This is where "best effort" (another phrase I like to use) comes in to play. (Anti-virus, anti-spam, web filter, firewalls, no local admins.. etc.)
________________________________ From: James Kerr [mailto:[email protected]] Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:35 AM To: NT System Admin Issues Subject: Internet Policy I know this has been discussed in the past but I'm in the process of making changes to ours so I was interested in a little input from my peers. We have always had a policy of not allowing our desktops, email and Internet connection to be used for personal use at all. That being said we have always turned a blind eye to occasional personal use through the day. This has been a problem for us. Now we are looking to change the policy to reflect that we do allow this type of use. We want the staff to know that's its ok but we also want them to know what's not ok. I was looking to basically say the following. "Some personal Internet use is allowed but must not interfere with the performance of work duties and responsibilities. Personal Internet use must be restricted to reasonable sites and materials such as news or information that might be considered reasonable if read as a text publication in an office environment." I'm also going to add that downloading files is not allowed unless approved by IT and that this includes email attachments from personal email as well. Any thoughts? James . ~ Finally, powerful endpoint security that ISN'T a resource hog! ~ ~ <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/> ~
