Too much room for error when reading R3d in directly, not to mention the speed hit due to de-bayering and full resolution as mentioned before. I totally agree that transcoding everything to dpx files is the way to go. This will give you:

1. full control over how the transcode happens across the show (gamma
   space, priamries etc)
2. much superior speed in Nuke due to having uncompressed rgb channels
   to load and only having to deal with the resolution that is actually
   required (especially if you shot on 8k and only need to deliver
   regular DCP or hd resolutions)