On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 1:38 AM, Dino Farinacci <farina...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > - VXLAN-GPE does not appear compatible with VXLAN-GPE. If a VXLAN host
> receives a VXLAN packet for some protocol other than Ethern the payload
> will be misinterpreted. A separate port number was required. I assume that
> a user using VXLAN in HW must upgrade HW to use VXLAN-GPE
>
> Tom, one clarification. Did you really mean VXLAN-GPE is not compatible
> with VXLAN-GPE or did you mean VXLAN?
>
> This is how a VXLAN-GPE encapsulator (an upgraded system) can talk to a
> VXLAN decapsulator (an existing system) with the LISP control-plane:
>
> (1) The encapsulator does a lookup on a MAC address to the mapping system.
> (2) What gets retunred is the decapsultor’s IP address and an
> encapsulation format. In this case the encapsulation format is VXLAN.
> (3) The VXLAN-GPE supuported encapsulator then encapsulates packets with
> UDP port 4789.
>
> I am told you can do this with BGP as well by negotiating what
> encapsulations are supported.

However, most product managers are not nearly as clever as you are Dino,
and as far as I know Users who today have HW that supports vxlan will have
to buy new switches or line cards to support vxlan-gpe.

Though if someone knows of a vendor who plans to support vxlan-gpe on their
already installed vxlan supporting hardware please speak up. I certainly
did not check with every vendor.

Jon

> Dino

"Do not lie. And do not do what you hate."