On Jul 22, 2016 3:38 AM, "Dino Farinacci" <farina...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > - VXLAN-GPE does not appear compatible with VXLAN-GPE. If a VXLAN host
receives a VXLAN packet for some protocol other than Ethern the payload
will be misinterpreted. A separate port number was required. I assume that
a user using VXLAN in HW must upgrade HW to use VXLAN-GPE

> Tom, one clarification. Did you really mean VXLAN-GPE is not compatible
with VXLAN-GPE or did you mean VXLAN?

Yes

> This is how a VXLAN-GPE encapsulator (an upgraded system) can talk to a
VXLAN decapsulator (an existing system) with the LISP control-plane:

> (1) The encapsulator does a lookup on a MAC address to the mapping system.
> (2) What gets retunred is the decapsultor’s IP address and an
encapsulation format. In this case the encapsulation format is VXLAN.
> (3) The VXLAN-GPE supuported encapsulator then encapsulates packets with
UDP port 4789.