On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 1:54 AM, Anoop Ghanwani <an...@alumni.duke.edu> wrote:
> Sam,
>
> My lack of interest in a new encap is because I think it's too late to
> converge them.  At this point, there are business issues (as opposed to
> technical ones) that would limit the effectiveness of a new encap.  At best
> it's a no-op, at worst it creates even more confusion in the market while
> the other encaps continue with their deployment.
>
> The best that the IETF can do is at this point is to document these and make
> sure the encaps are not breaking something else.
>
> IMO, none of the objections raised are showstoppers.  Any encap can be
> modified to do anything we want it to do, with the exception of backwards
> compatibility.  The need, efficacy, and the price of backwards compatibility
> can be argued, so that advantage is not a slam dunk either.

Lack of security is not a showstopper? No resilience to DDOS attacks
is not a showstopper? No ability to extend the protocol without a
complete hardware forklift is not a showstopper? Maybe this is true in
your datacenter but it certainly is not true in mine. These are
fundamental technical objections with VXLAN, VXLAN-GPE and Geneve.
Neither are they are newly pointed out, for instance I've been asking
for a resolution to the VNI security problem for at least three years
and so far this has not been addressed. If it was as easy as you say
these problems should have been fixed by now.

Tom