Jones Beach 17 October.

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) birded the west end at low tide this morning.
Yesterday's rain and today's brisk W to WSW wind seems to have driven the birds
away. Yellow-rumped warblers continue to dominate, but the Phoebes and Sparrows
have moved on. We did see one each PALM and PINE WARBLER; also a BLUE-HEADED
VIREO and a few Kinglets.

We walked out to the inlet via the fisherman's Road and scanned the bar on the
other side of the inlet. There were Black-bellied Plover, Oystercatchers,
Sanderling and terns, lots of terns.  Besides those feeding in the inlet, we
estimated at least 300 FORSTER'S TERNS,  in two separate groups,  as they
repeatedly picked up and settled back down on the bar .

As I looked at a  2nd year LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL on the West End #2 lot,
several Herring Gulls and 2 more 2nd year plus a 1st year Lesser flew in to
join  on the lot.

Sy