Jones Beach West End 14 Oct

Joe Giunta and I (Sy Schiff) birded the west end this morning to find fewer
birds but still 50+ species The bar still harbors a few hundred AMERICAN
OYSTERCATCHERS plus an undetermined number of mostly hatching year BLACK
SKIMMERS. As the tide increased, the dozen DUNLIN were joined by BLACK-BELLIED
PLOVER, RED KNOT, a few SANDERLING, more DUNLIN and a SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER,
Best additions were 2 ROYAL TERNS.

A COMMON LOON was in the basin and moved out into the channel where FOSTER'S
TERNS were feeding. RUDDY TURNSTONES continue on the Coast Guard breakwater.
LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS continue on West End #2 parking lot.

Raptors included NORTHERN HARRIER, SHARP-SHINNED, COOPER'S HAWKS, MERLIN and
PEREGRINE FALCON (are falcons still raptors now that they've been classified as
Parrots?---just a thought).

A WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH (rare on the beach) joined RED-BREASTED in the
median. We saw  a PINE, a number of PALM,  loads of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, a
male BLUE-THROATED BLUE WARBLER and a BLUE-HEADED VIREO. Sparrow species were
limited but WHITE-CROWNED were present.

Briefly seen by others was the continuing CLAY-COLORED SPARROW. Also, a BLACK
TERN was reported at the jetty.

Sy