Jones Beach West End 5 September

Joe G. , Joe V. Stan, and I (Sy Schiff) found a single GULL-BILLED TERN on the
bar at the Coast Guard Station and a single SPOTTED SANDPIPER for shorebirds.
The swale was empty except for Canada Geese. On the beach, the gulls to our
right (west), consisted mainly of Great Black-backed Gulls and 6 LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULLS of 1st, 2nd and 3rd year types. Of interest, to me, was the
number and age distribution of the Lessers. It almost seems that there is a
close-by nesting colony, but where?

Mosquitoes were manageable this morning in spite of a lack of wind. I was
informed that mosquito control efforts are on-going and appear to be working.

Sy