Hi,

On 24 July 2015 at 11:11, Tommaso Teofili <tommaso.teof...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ian,

> > Hi Tommaso,
> >
> > My knowledge of Solr is not anything like as deep as yours. I would like
> > check what I know is correct, to avoid sharing the wrong information.
> >
> > In [1] the first test does not commit and is backed by a RAMDirectory
> > shared by the reader and writer. Does that mean that Lucene natively only
> > supports NRT inside a single JVM, and if the JVM dies anything not hard
> > committed (if the RAMDirectory was backed by a FileDirectory) would be
> lost
> >

> yes, exactly.
>

> > or is recovery of soft commits and pre-soft commits now handled
> > automatically in Lucene4.
> >

> no, that's not part of Lucene as far as I know; that's Solr allowing soft
> commits [1], which use Lucene's NRT capabilities and a transaction log [2],
> if JVM crashes soft commits are recovered from the transaction log and
> re-executed once Solr is restarted.

Thank you for the information, especially [2]. My knowledge was out of date.

The transaction log did not exist in SolrCloud when I last looked at the
source code and was only available as a commercial component from
Lucidworks. For reference, the only difference between SolrCloud4 as
described in [2] and ES appears to be that SolrCloud4 works on source
documents whereas ES works on digested versions of a document (ie
properties only). At some point prior to releasing the code I looked at,
SolrCloud4 must have switched from segment based replication in favour of
document based replication.

Best Regards
Ian