Hi Tommaso,

so, the goal is to run the Oak in a cloud, in this case Azure. In order to do
this in a scalable way (eg. multiple instances on a single VM, containerized),
we need to take care of provisioning the sufficient amount of space for the
segmentstore. Mounting the physical SSD/HDD disks (in Azure they’re called
“Managed Disks” aka EBS in Amazon) has two drawbacks:

* it’s expensive,
* it’s complex (each disk is a separate /dev/sdX that has to be formatted,
mounted, etc.)

The point of the Azure Segment Store is to deal with these two issues, by
replacing the need for a local file system space with a remote service, that
will be (a) cheaper and (b) easier to provision (as it’ll be configured on the
application layer rather than VM layer).

Another option would be using the Azure File Storage (which mounts the SMB file
system, not the “physical” disk). However, in this case we’d have a remote
storage that emulates a local one and SegmentMK doesn’t really expect this.
Rather than that it’s better to create a full-fledged remote storage
implementation, so we can work out the issues caused by the higher latency, etc.

Regards,
Tomek

--
Tomek Rękawek | Adobe Research | www.adobe.com