On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Gerion Entrup
<gerion.ent...@t-online.de>wrote:

> Am Mittwoch 13 März 2013, 09:02:54 schrieb Tom Morris:
>
> > My interpretation of the question was that it was asking about the
> language
> > (and place) fields themselves, not the language the title is written in.
> >  For example, is the language "Deutsch" or "German," and similarly for
> > Munich vs München.  Ideally, we'd like these to be language agnostic
> items
> > that get mapped back to the user's language on input/output, but until we
> > get to that point I'd suggest everything like this be entered in English
> > ease conversion later.
>
> A eventually bigger problem as the language field is the localized
> spelling of
> the author. For example I've added a book from "Сергей Лукяненко", where
> nobody seems to know, how the correct spelling is. His website says, it is
> "Sergey Lukianenko", the english Wikipedia lists him as "Sergei Lukjanenko"
> and the books itself spell him "Sergej Lukjanenko".
> To write all in English won't work here, because of the missing of an
> 'English
> spelling', but a mapping as described above would help here, too.

The same entity based principal applies.  You create an entry like this:

https://dev.freebase.com/m/01dhyj?i18n

and then people will see his name as Лукьяненко, Сергей Васильевич, Sergey
Lukyanenko, Sergueï Loukianenko, Sergei Wassiljewitsch Lukjanenko,
セルゲイ・ルキヤネンコ, סרגיי לוקיאננקו, सेर्गेय वसील्येविच लुक्यनेंको or 瑟吉·盧基揚年科
depending on what language they prefer to have things displayed in.

This approach also helps you link together pseudonyms with real authors,
people who changed their name during their life and all kinds of other
things.

Tom