On 3/13/13 11:01 AM, kltrg wrote:
> Karen Coyle:
>> Are you referring to places as subjects? Right now most of the subjects
>> are in English. However, for places it would be great to link them to an
>> actual database of place names, such as geonames.org, and/or with the
>> appropriate entry in dbpedia. That would create an identifier for the
>> place, but more work would be needed to allow searching on the alternate
>> name forms.
>
> Yes, I meant subjects.
> But I think linking to a such places-database makes sense for publication
> city and places mentioned in the book. Both would benefit from being
> searchable in different languages. Is the technically possible? Because it
> sounds great like you described it, Karen.

In library data there are actually two data elements for place of
publication:

1. The place as listed on the book, which helps you identify another
copy of the same book (because the place listed is the same - same
language, even same typo if that's the case)

2. A code for the place of publication that is language neutral.

#2 is limited in granularity because it only includes the country (or
country and state, for the US). But a similar code could be derived from
the place as listed in the book. If you look at http://geonames.org, you
can do a lookup by name and get entries for one or more places with that
name. There are databases that have done this algorithmically -- not
100% accurate, of course, but undoubtedly a good start.

kc

> kltrg

Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net