On 3/13/2013 9:24 AM, Karen Coyle wrote:

> Others have answered, but I want to go a bit further into the library
> cataloging that produced these "anomalies", and suggest some possibly
> more sensible approaches.
>
> On 3/13/13 2:57 AM, kltrg wrote:
>

>> 1. Are ISBNs integers or do I use the - signs as they are used in the
>> books themselves?
>
> ISBNs from the library data should not contain the hyphens, but may be
> either ISBN-10 or ISBN-13. It is useful to keep in mind that the first
> library data was created in machine-readable form in the late 1960's, so
> often the data itself precedes such things as ISBN-13, and usually does
> not get upgraded. Since most sources that we would link to can accept
> either ISBN form (-10 or -13) it should be sufficient to drop the
> hyphens and enter a single string.

It is, in my opinion, bad practice to expect end users to properly
format what are essentially numeric fields. I agree that ISBNs should be
recorded as 10- or 13-digit numbers, but the software should be written
to normalize any conceivable type of input into a hyphen-less form (it
could also strip out obviously incorrect data, such as the letter "a",
and could even do a ISBN checksum before allowing the data to be stored).

Writing software is easy, training a host of data enterers is hard.