On 3/13/13 10:14 AM, kltrg wrote:
> Thanks for you answers.
>
> Karen Coyle:
>> The "how many pages" field is needed to help merge duplicate
>> records. It contains the highest number as a numeric (since the
>> library pagination is a text string with punctuation, etc.).
>
> Just to make that clear: it's not highest number you can see written
> on a particular page in the book but the total number of pages
> (preface numbered i, ii, ... + main text numbered 1,2,...). Sometimes
> the last page(s) don't have a number on them at all. They count
> nevertheless, no?

No, those blank pages are not counted. That would require everyone to
hand-count all of the pages in the book, so listing the highest numbered
page is more efficient.

>> If you are referring to the name of the place of publication you
>> should enter the place as it is on the book.
>
> Place names are a problem in this input field but also in the one I
> put the places mentioned in the book in.
>
> Summing up what I've read, I'll proceed like this from now on:
> Publication city like written in the book. All other cities and
> countries in their (most common) english spelling.

Are you referring to places as subjects? Right now most of the subjects
are in English. However, for places it would be great to link them to an
actual database of place names, such as geonames.org, and/or with the
appropriate entry in dbpedia. That would create an identifier for the
place, but more work would be needed to allow searching on the alternate
name forms.

>> I once volunteered to write up a short "hover" text for each field,
>> but it was deemed "too restrictive." However, once again I am
>> willing to do a fairly loose definition of each field (where I
>> can).
>
> Having such a hover text would be great, especially for newbies. It
> would make the whole thing a lot easier to understand. I'm strongly
> in favor of this.

I could write it, but I don't think I can install it. I'll ask.

>> There are advantages and disadvantages to having ingested library
>> data since it has some very detailed aspects. Ideally, it would be
>> good to find a way to allow both that detail and less detailed
>> input from non-library sources and "normal human beings."
>
> Isn't this question the whole point about having a librarian and a
> non librarian mode? Would it be a good idea to have both in the
> frontend, too?

Yes, I agree that we could do more separation of the two, and also
provide a simpler non-librarian input/update form.

kc

> Where can we write down these policies and make them available more
> easily than by having subscribed this list?

That's the whole permissions question. At the moment, it takes admin
permissions to write to any of the documentation pages.

--
Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net