All good questions and thanks for taking the time to put this together.
I'm not prepared to comment on any of them now as I'm, brain-dead from
working on taxes all day, but I will chime in over the coming week.

It occured to me in reading through this that I have been struggling with
"definitions of terms" and not really recognized the point til now.
Perhaps one of the first things we need to do is put together a glossary
of terms so we will all know we're talking about the same things.  My
background is not is library science and although I've done extensive
research and work comfortably in 3 languages, and a half-dozen Computer
languages, I'm not sure I can give you an "elevator definition" of what a
"work" is vs. an "edition" and how these record "merges" are important or
implemented, etc.

John Rigdon