On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 4:58 AM, Karen Coyle <kco...@kcoyle.net> wrote:

> On 4/7/13 6:31 PM, Tom Johnson wrote:
> > That sounds wonderful. I'd be happy to help you sort out the questions
> > about ISBNs, etc...
> >
> > If such definitions were available, would we be able to get them
> > committed and running on the main site?
>
> I don't know that we can count on that, but obviously it would be ideal.
> While volunteers have run bots against OL, I don't think anyone has made
> changes to the basic displays. This is a question that we'll need to
> take up because, AFAIK, there are no longer any UI developers on the
> project.
>
> One thing that always frustrated me was not having a test version of OL
> to work with. I was always used to doing changes on a test system, and
> it makes me extremely nervous to work directly on a system in
> production. I don't know how the UI changes were originally done -
> whether there was a test system available. (The UI team was very
> skillful and I suspect that the code in that area is fairly
> sophisticated.) I think that Anand has his own test set-up. How does
> that usually work in an open source project? Is there a test instance
> for everyone, or are people expected to create their own?

In MusicBrainz's case (which is obviously the one I know most about) there
used to be a general test instance. Since a while ago, we run a sandbox
server where everyone who asks for it gets their own sandbox instance, but
that obviously requires a fair bit of sysadmining which I don't know
whether anyone is willing to provide, and might be overkill for the time
being - just one test instance should be enough.

FWIW, we also run a beta version (on live data) where people can check and
find problems in the code before they go live for everyone, but again,
that's a relatively recent development and one that might not be necessary
just yet in OL.

Working directly on production tends to be a terrible idea, so: would
anyone be willing to set up a test server?

Cheers,
Nicolás