I think guidelines are important and I'm disappointed to hear someone at OL
was actively against them.

My take on some of the topics raised:

Translations are not separate works, but it's useful to have a
"translation" record which records information about a specific translation
(translator, date, target language) and collects together all the editions
of that language.

Work title - it doesn't need to have just one if the I18N is done right.
 Everyone can have the title in their own language selected by their UI
preferences.  Strings get stored as a text/language tuple and each language
can have one, even for single valued fields/properties.

Author name - as above for I18N, but "credited as" or equivalent can go on
the edition record for completeness.

Pseudonyms - related to above, but not mentioned.  Freebase breaks with
what I understand to be library practice and collects all personal
pseudonyms together as aliases for the main author record.  Collective
pseudonyms and house names are still cataloged separately.  I think it's
worth discussing whether pseudonyms should be cataloged separately or
together with the main author.

ISBNs - accept both 10 & 13, normalize to 13 with no punctuation for
storage/search.  Check & warn on check digit, but don't reject (because
sometimes they're printed with bad check digits).

Print runs - don't catalog.

External identifiers/URLs - Freebase uses a similar scheme to the one
described for MusicBrainz.  The identifier gets inserted into a template
URL for external links to OpenLibrary, MusicBrainz, Wikipedia etc.

Tom