On 12 September 2011 14:58, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2011, at 14:12, Rob Weir wrote:
>
> > It would be useful if you explained what you meant by "autonomy" so it
> > is clear about what you are talking about.
>
> "Autonomy" in the case of a localisation would mean being free to create
> releases without needing to translate decisions made by the developers
> (regardless of what's changed) into any other language. Obviously anything
> that moves upstream would need to be represented in English.

I would have thought it would be of general benefit that any decisions to
make a release in a particular localisation would be summarised in English
as a simple matter of community courtesy. It doesn't have to be onerous. Its
a bit like Lazy Consensus. Notify  everyone but you aren't necessarily
expecting a lot of fuss about it. Seems to me that we can have discussions
about these details and end up arguing about how many angels can dance on
the head of a pin :-)  when some simple agreed procedures, even if not
binding, would cover the most likely cases to arise.

eg In principle, any release of a language localised version gets posted to
the English Apache list before going live with 72 hours gap to enable anyone
to raise any issues or decide if a vote is necessary. I don't see that being
bureaucratically a problem and it means we have a better means of
communication so everyone knows what is happening. If mentors or more
experienced people spot something that really does need a vote they can flag
it and the vote can take place, if not it just goes through. Once this
happens a few times everyone will learn what does and doesn't need more
scrutiny.
--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940