On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I realized after I posted this that I should have looked at Pedro's request
> ticket first, so sorry about that.
>
> Re--doing it ourselves???
>
> OK, here we go again. It's about current and long-term administration in my
> mind.
>
> Given the stagnant state of this set-up, and again, administration, I truly
> do not think we can afford to diverge from some well-known and supported
> path on this. Just look at where we are now -- Terry has left and no one
> seems to be able to take over what HAS been established at:
>
> http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> I will try to spend the rest of this week looking at Pedro's ticket to infra
> on this and attempt to determine what can be done.
>
> Right now, there is STILL activity on the current wiki
> and no one seems to be minding the store.
>
> I'm kinda concerned about this...

So obviously there is limited volunteer bandwidth to migrate the wiki.
 And I've heard from several people, on and off the list, that much of
what is on the wiki is not very useful.

Is there any way we can prioritize the effort?

For example:

1) Is there any way to get page hit stats to see what pages are most
accessed?  If not already instrumented could we add Google Analytics
for a couple of weeks?

or

2) Is there someway we can tag the pages with a category or something,
to indicate which are the critical pages we must preserve?  Maybe this
could be semi-automated with a browser bookmarklet so that volunteers
with a wiki account can add that category with a single click.

If there are reasonable number (say less than 500) critical pages,
then that is something that is doable with a rough and dirty dump and
manual fix up.

We did something similar to the ODF Toolkit podling recently.  It was
previously hosted on Kenai and used MediaWiki.  I did a copy of the
wikimark up of the pages -- a manual copy and paste operation -- and
created new Markdown text files for each one.  This was
semi-automated, with some search and replace operations. Then I
checked in the mdtext files into SVN, and did the manual clean up via
the Apache CMS web interface.  It did require work on every single
page, to clean it up.  But it was not rocket science. And the result
is we have our doc now all in markdown format, where we can more
easily maintain it.  And none of us are tied up with maintaining a
server.

But note that one complication of the OOo wiki is the license on the
content.  With the ODF Toolkit everything was ALv2, so we could freely
copy that content into the podling's website.  With OOo, the pages are
in various licenses.  That will require some care.  But from technical
perspective, if it is possible to migrate content from MWiki to
Markdowntext, then migrating to CWiki or MointMoin should be even
easier.