Am 27.09.11 23:41, schrieb Kay Schenk:
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Pedro F. Giffuni<giffu...@tutopia.com>wrote:

--- On Tue, 9/27/11, Kay Schenk<kay.sch...@gmail.com>  wrote:

As Rob Weir has put it ...
So obviously there is limited volunteer bandwidth to
migrate the wiki.
And I've heard from several people, on and off
the list, that much of what is on the wiki is
not very useful.

uh, well...I don't know bout this. I was under the
impression that MUCH of developer info was here.
  Others would need to weigh in but I think it was
widely used because of the ease of use.

Just my word of advice:

Check the MediaWiki at http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/

If we take out information about Hg (dead),
the Development Teams and Projects (which will have to
be reorganized), Old News, the issue tracker ...

Is the information left worth it to run through a
MW-->CWiki conversion effort?

Yes, the projects need some reorganization, but I doubt if all the
development stuff should be removed. It simply hasn't gone anywhere -- yet.
The problem is NOT the conversion effort (a one time deal) but the
maintenance effort.

*IF* someone(s) would step up to be the MW guru, there wouldn't be an issue
but we're outside the "infra" workings.

Well the complicate part of our wiki is not the wiki itself, it's more the extensions. The problem is, that Ifrastructure allows only services with all security fixes. This is no problem for MW itself. MW is realy well maintained. But If you need a Update and you have only one extension who is not well maintained and does not work with the latest version of MW, the trubbles starts. Well, you can deinstall the extension, but then you lose also same functionality. And same of these functionality is the reason why we prefer MW.

The mediawiki desicion depends also to the question, "What we will doing with the wiki". If we will use it as a coordinations tool, and to hosting "internal" informations, not dedicated to endusers, then we don't realy need MW. If we want to use it for doc translation etc. Then there are functionality that no other (by apache infra) supports.

I think given the license situation we should just
leave that stuff as read-only for now and do all new
work on CWiki (or MoinMoin).

Well OK, good enough and I would agree with this.
After looking at the old wiki this am, it seems someone from the "es" area
has made quite a few changes/additions, and the front page itself had been
modified this am. Of course, there was that "throw pillows" page addition??!

and ps. Does anyone here actually know HOW to put the old wiki in
read-only???

I think, I can do this if needed.

Greetings Raphael