On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I realized after I posted this that I should have looked at Pedro's
> request
> > ticket first, so sorry about that.
> >
> > Re--doing it ourselves???
> >
> > OK, here we go again. It's about current and long-term administration in
> my
> > mind.
> >
> > Given the stagnant state of this set-up, and again, administration, I
> truly
> > do not think we can afford to diverge from some well-known and supported
> > path on this. Just look at where we are now -- Terry has left and no one
> > seems to be able to take over what HAS been established at:
> >
> > http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/wiki/Main_Page
> >
> > I will try to spend the rest of this week looking at Pedro's ticket to
> infra
> > on this and attempt to determine what can be done.
> >
> > Right now, there is STILL activity on the current wiki
> > and no one seems to be minding the store.
> >
> > I'm kinda concerned about this...
> >

> So obviously there is limited volunteer bandwidth to migrate the wiki.
>  And I've heard from several people, on and off the list, that much of
> what is on the wiki is not very useful.

uh, well...I don't know bout this. I was under the impression that MUCH of
developer info was here.  Others would need to weigh in but I think it was
widely used because of the ease of use.

> Is there any way we can prioritize the effort?
>
> For example:
>
> 1) Is there any way to get page hit stats to see what pages are most
> accessed?  If not already instrumented could we add Google Analytics
> for a couple of weeks?
>
> or
>
> 2) Is there someway we can tag the pages with a category or something,
> to indicate which are the critical pages we must preserve?  Maybe this
> could be semi-automated with a browser bookmarklet so that volunteers
> with a wiki account can add that category with a single click.
>
> If there are reasonable number (say less than 500) critical pages,
> then that is something that is doable with a rough and dirty dump and
> manual fix up.
>
> We did something similar to the ODF Toolkit podling recently.  It was
> previously hosted on Kenai and used MediaWiki.  I did a copy of the
> wikimark up of the pages -- a manual copy and paste operation -- and
> created new Markdown text files for each one.  This was
> semi-automated, with some search and replace operations. Then I
> checked in the mdtext files into SVN, and did the manual clean up via
> the Apache CMS web interface.  It did require work on every single
> page, to clean it up.  But it was not rocket science. And the result
> is we have our doc now all in markdown format, where we can more
> easily maintain it.  And none of us are tied up with maintaining a
> server.

This would be QUITE painful for the OOo wiki.

> But note that one complication of the OOo wiki is the license on the
> content.  With the ODF Toolkit everything was ALv2, so we could freely
> copy that content into the podling's website.  With OOo, the pages are
> in various licenses.  That will require some care.  But from technical
> perspective, if it is possible to migrate content from MWiki to
> Markdowntext, then migrating to CWiki or MointMoin should be even
> easier.

OK. I don't know HOW the wiki pages are licensed. I will investigate.