Hi Jean-Philippe

Thanks for highlighting the need for  IA2 support in AOO.

I agree that IBM offering the Symphony support for the IA2 [1]
accessibility API will 'potentially' make AOO available to a much
wider user base by providing vital support to NVDA and other assistive
technology running on Windows (incidentally, IA2 support will also
make automated testing much easier on Windows and allows tasks
traditionally done via UNO). As you point out the current limited
support plus fact that the alternative Java Access Bridge is too
complex for users to install themselves means that accessibility tool
developers such as  NVDA are forced to recommend Symphony as the
accessible Office suite for Windows.

I say 'potentially' as the developers in the community will make it a
priority if, and only if, it is clear there is a strong demand for IA2
and someone leads the work and use of it. So I would encourage you to
continue your work of letting us know of the need and also suggest you
guide other users and developers who require IA2 support in AOO  to
join in the discussion here. A good approach would be to get folks to
blog about why it is important and we can post links here. That way
the AOO community will be encouraged to work on ensuring there is an
open and accessible Office suite available for Windows. In fact there
may eventually be even more choice for users if AOO becomes the core
used by other projects, as indeed it has the potential to be.

It's great to hear from Marcus that dev work is under way. It's up to
us in the accessibility community to 'cheer them on'.

So please do encourage the NVDA community to join in here. I'll ping
the developers and let them know of your interest and this thread that
you started.

Thanks again

1:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/accessibility/iaccessible2