KG02 - see comments inline.

On Tuesday, June 5, 2012, Graham Lauder wrote:

> > KG01 - see comments inline.
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Graham Lauder
> > <y...@apache.org<javascript:;>>

> > > [....]

> sort
> >
> > KG01 - Thanks for your feedback and interest in the user research effort.
> > While I agree we could deploy different types of surveys to gather
> > different types of data, I feel that a survey of surveys might induce
> > premature survey fatigue.
>
> Survey fatique has already set in, that is not a new thing, that is
> recognisable simply by those surveys conducted by SUN.  We haven't caused
> that, it is a factor of the modern marketing malaise.  The cost of
> incentives
> these days, that one needs to hand out to get a significant sampling in a
> timely manner is huge.

KG02 - Agreed, risk of fatigue is a planning consideration.

> > User research, especially surveys, consumes
> > people's time and energy.
>
> Indeed as I myself pointed out earlier in this thread
>
> > Rather, I propose we work from the other
> > direction. If the goal of the research activity is to gather data that
> will
> > help us build insight and drive informed design and development
> decisions,
> > then we should focus the surveys on the information we need to do that. I
> > have captured some comments in the wiki discussion page.
>
> Indeed, however if the sample of respondents is ridiculously small, as has
> historically been the case, then the data is useless.

KG02 - Perhaps, let's think positive :)

> You cannot use corporate methodologies in an open source environment.  We
> have
> no ability to offer incentives, we therefore need to make the survey
> process
> as pleasant and enjoyable as possible or we need to find out from people
> what
> would encourage them to participate.

KG02 - Ok. I'm not advocating corporate or open source. I'm advocating that
we create surveys that 1) will deliver good data and 2) people will fill
out.

> That requires research, I doubt it will require as big a sample as a UX
> survey
> but that is only because there are a limited number of answers needed.
>
> Every good research organisation I have worked with does short surveys to
> find
> out what they're doing right or wrong.

KG02 - indeed, a useful activity.

> For the most part they do these at the
> end of another survey, but that is because the group of respondents they
> are
> questioning will probably never do the same survey again.

KG02 - While surveys are common after usability evaluation session, nested
surveys are new to me.

> For us the problem
> has been getting respondents to finish.  Lose them once and they won't come
> back again and we will need to talk to our user community if not often, at
> least regularly

KG02 - Consumability is a noted concern, and a valid goal.

I would prefer to do things right first time up so people will happily
> respond
> to any surveys we need to put out.  Remember that there are not only UX
> surveys to be done but Marketing as well.

KG02 - Indeed, that is why I placed a call for input from all disciplines.

> We know already know two things that get people to complete surveys:
> Brevity and Fun.
>
> If we do a light hearted, quick survey that gives us the reasons that
> people
> will participate, I think that's a really good use of resources.

KG02 -  Agreed.

> The Surveys already put up are boring, generic and not likely to inspire
> people to complete them.
>
> OOo has a user base in the hundreds of millions a few hundred completions
> is
> not a sample.  We need 10s of thousands of responses across scores of
> languages, to get a easonable sample.
>
> So first we need to figure out how to get that sample.

KG02 - Indeed a sustainable research strategy is important. Please capture
your thoughts on the wiki.