On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Alexandro Colorado <j...@oooes.org> wrote:
> On 10/14/12, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Alexandro Colorado <j...@oooes.org> wrote:
>>> Please write an example on the page, not just throw the XML file doing
>>> something as simple as
>>> <consultant>
>>> <company>Your company</company>
>>> <address>foo street at disneyland</address>
>>> <website>http://www.yourcompany.com</website>
>>> </consultant>
>>>

>> There is an entire file of real examples linked to from that page:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/bizdev/consultants/consultants.xml
>
> My point exactly. I would rather see this shown as HTML/ASCII, the XML
> dump is not bad but usually end up in  hard to read spew of data that
> non-technical users can't understand what happened.
>

>>> Would go a long way, the instructions look a bit too technical for
>>> regular users. Even if we assume this are technical people, we should
>>> think this is being applied by the marketing intern used to facebook.
>>>
>>> I would even suggest doing an XForm to generate this XML and spew it
>>> on a texboard with a copy-paste this on your email.
>>>

>> Patches are welcome.
>
> Here is an XForm sample:
> <xforms>
> <model>
> <instance>
>   <person>
>     <fname/>
>     <lname/>
>   </person>
> </instance>
> <submission id="form1"
> action="submit.asp"
> method="get"/>
> </model>
> </xforms>

The form is the easy part.  The hard part is getting it integrated in
a way that works with our current server environment.  As you've
probably noticed we don't have mail-in forms anywhere on our website.
Perhaps there are some security issues here?  Infra would know.  But
there would be some work to either enable the server-side processing
of this, or of generating the XML with instructions for the user to
copy/paste it into an email to ooo-dev.

Personally I don't think the expected volume of submissions justifies
the time required to put further automation into play.  (My personal
opinion).  As the instructions say, the submittor can just send
equivalent information to the list and we can do the XML formatting
for them.

-Rob