One other point I should probably make related to this is that the
referencing operator (currently spelled "&")   ...

I trust that spelling is still considered an open issue.  :-)

I'm warming to using '>' on both sides .. at least it implies some sort of
movement/look elsewhere.   My second choice would be '*' (as in C).

All other characters and character combinations that are currently not valid
as prefix operations could be possibilities, with the exception of '&'...

Mike