On 16.04.2018 16:21, Rick McGuire wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 9:54 AM, Rony G. Flatscher <rony.flatsc...@wu.ac.at
> <mailto:rony.flatsc...@wu.ac.at>> wrote:
>
>     On 16.04.2018 14:08, Rick McGuire wrote:
>>
>>     On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:04 AM, Mike Cowlishaw <m...@speleotrove.com
>>     <mailto:m...@speleotrove.com>> wrote:
>>

>>             One other point I should probably make related to this is that
>> the referencing
>>             operator (currently spelled "&")   ...
>>

>>         I trust that spelling is still considered an open issue.  :-)
>>
>>         I'm warming to using '>' on both sides .. at least it implies some
>> sort of movement/look
>>         elsewhere.   My second choice would be '*' (as in C).
>>

>>     I could live with '>'. I'm probably as opposed to using '*' as you are
>> to '&' :-)
>>

>>         All other characters and character combinations that are currently
>> not valid as prefix
>>         operations could be possibilities, with the exception of '&'...
>>
>>         Mike
>>
>     How about using '^' as the operator symbol for "variable reference"?
>
> carat has some compatibility problems with other Rexx interpreters that
> interpreted the carat as a
> logical not. I'd prefer to stay away from that. In any event, I just
> committed the changes to use
> '>' rather than '&'.

In case someone wants to experiment with this I just created a 64-bit Windows
version of Rick's
reference sandbox (using '>' rather than '&') which you can download from here:
<https://www.dropbox.com/sh/olh1mqfwb4brp7r/AABI1X-Le9zDCJ0gyfvMdKB8a?dl=0>.

There is a small test script "test_gt.rex" using '>' there as well.

Here