On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:53 AM, Erich Steinböck <erich.steinbo...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> One other point I should probably make related to this is that the
>> referencing operator (currently spelled "&")
>>

> Can this maybe done with existing ooRexx syntax?  Like
> `call routine alpha, .Reference~new(beta), gamma` and a simple `use a, b,
> c`
>
> Alternatives to `.Reference~new()` might be `.Alias~new()`or `.Ref[]`or
> such

There's a bit of ugliness with trying to do that. The new method never sees
the variable name, only the result of evaluating the variable. That would
require some special mechanism that would somehow make that method a
special case, plus additional magic that would allow the new method to
reach back into the calling context to retrieve the variable reference. One
of the reasons I made the NEW method on VariableReference throw an error
was to prevent situations where resolving a variable did not make sense,
such as in native code.  Using an operator acts as an instruction to the
local context to create a reference and uses minimal amounts of syntax to
do so. We've already seen, for example, that .array~of(1,2,3) is more than
most people want to type, which is why the syntactic sugar array expression
was added for 5.0.0.

As for using the back tick, that really would not work. It's too easily
confused with the other single quote and is almost invisible on some
screens. I actually had to wipe my screen down even to see that that was
what you were proposing.

Rick