Do you have the library setting for "Charge item price when marked damaged"
enabled? If so, it will remember who the last person that checked it out
was and give you the option to charge them a damaged fee without having to
check it out to them again.

(I haven't worked with missing pieces, so I'm not sure of the most
efficient procedure for that.)

Terran McCanna
PINES Program Manager
Georgia Public Library Service