Hi,

I wanted to find out more about the iscsistart and/or iscsiadm
binary.  Am trying to configure a pilot/proof-of-concept attempt to
boot an diskless server over iscsi-root running Ubuntu 8.  I followed
the procedure described in this very helpful paper:

http://wpkg.org/Diskless_/_remote_boot_with_Open-iSCSI

And to even keep it simple, I hardocded the value for the iscsi target
and its IP address.  During the boot, the modules specific to my HW
plus the iscsi modules seem to have loaded well.  I also configured a
static IP address to ensure that network connectivity exists (it does,
I ping'ed it from another host).

Running either iscsistart or iscsiadm fails though - "no records
found" when called from the "init" script of the custom initrd;  ...
the golden/build server when booted to its local drive runs iscsiadm
successfully ... this is the command I use:  iscsiadm -m node -T
<iqn.date.target_name> -p <ip.address.of.target> -l

Running the above command on the build server (is successful) while
when I attempt to run on my init script it gives me a "no records
found".  the iscsiadm binary is copied into /bin per the
instructions ...

Are there any dependencies or libraries I need to bundle into my
custom initrd required by iscsiadm?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aspasia.

.... for reference my init script (per the above link)

#Test init script based on Ubuntu wpkg Technote
#
# Load modules

echo "Loading jbd.ko module"
insmod /lib/modules/jbd.ko
echo "Loading mbcache.ko module"
insmod /lib/modules/mbcache.ko
echo "Loading ext3.ko module"
insmod /lib/modules/ext3.ko

echo "Loading libcrc32c.ko module"
insmod /lib/modules/libcrc32c.ko
echo "Loading crc32c.ko module"
insmod /lib/modules/crc32c.ko
echo "Loading nvidia driver"
insmod /lib/modules/forcedeth.ko

# iscsi-related modules (i think)
#

echo "Loading scsi_mod.ko module"
insmod /lib/modules/scsi_mod.ko
echo "Loading sd_mod.ko module"
insmod /lib/modules/sd_mod.ko
echo "Loading scsi_transport_iscsi.ko module"
insmod /lib/modules/scsi_transport_iscsi.ko
echo "Loading libiscsi.ko module"
insmod /lib/modules/libiscsi.ko
echo "Loading iscsi_tcp.ko module"
insmod /lib/modules/iscsi_tcp.ko

# Mount /proc and /sys
echo "Mounting proc"
mount -t proc /proc /proc
echo "Mounting sysfs"
mount -t sysfs /sys /sys

# Bring the network interface up - defining static IP
#
ifconfig eth0 192.168.17.72 netmask 255.255.240.0

# Connect the iSCSI drive - using iscsiadm since this worked on the
build server

iscsiadm -m node -T iqn.2008-04.com.mycompany:storage.ubuntu8_x86_test
-p 192.168.17.3 -l

# Assuming iscsi daemons started we should be able to mount to root
#
mount -o rw /dev/sde1 /sysroot
echo Switching to new root
cd /sysroot