aspasia wrote:
> On Apr 30, 12:29 pm, Mike Christie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> iscsistart was created, becuase the db used to require other fun libs
>> and throwing them into the initrd was a pain for many distros, and so
>> you could just pass in the value you want to use by doing
>>

> the reason why I tried to use iscsiadm in lieu of iscsistart, was
> because in my golden build server, I error'ed out when I tried to
> connect to my target using iscsistart; however, with iscsiadmn I can
> connect.
>
> My server is:  Ubuntu 8.x (Hardy) ...
>
> 1.  In attempt to troubleshoot, I do not have the iscsid daemon
> running so, while testing to connect via iscistart, I try the
> following
>
> a.  load all necessary modules - modules - and they load fine.
> b.  run the iscsistart CLI:
>  ./iscsistart -i iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:abc2b6545e4 -t iqn.
> 2008-04.com.mycompany:storage.ubuntu8_x86_test -g 1 -a 192.168.17.3
> iscsistart: transport class version 2.0-724. iscsid version 2.0-869
> iscsistart: version 2.0-869
> iscsistart: received iferror -22
> iscsistart: can't create connection (115)
> iscsistart: received iferror -22
> iscsistart: can not safely destroy session 0
> iscsistart: received iferror -22
> iscsistart: can't bind conn 0:0 to session 0, retcode 1 (115)
>
> the machine is just in a hang state .. any ideas??
> the iscsid daemon still runs:
> sbin# ps -elf | grep iscsi
> 1 S root     22031     1  0  80   0 -  1007 -      13:49 ?
> 00:00:00 ./iscsid
> 0 R root     22223 21108  0  80   0 -  1290 -      14:00 pts/2
> 00:00:00 grep iscsi
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/sbin#

See the other mail. If you use iscsistart you do not need iscsid at the
same time. The kernel/userspace tools do not support two listeners and
weird things happen like one of the listeners gets the events that were
intended for the other. Try this with iscsistart but without iscsid.
Everntually you need to run iscsid, but just not when iscsistart is running.

- So in the initrd you would run

iscsistart

- We do pivot root to real root device.
- The init scripts are run. You should run iscsid right away now, so it
can handle any iscsi errors that may arise during startup.
- Later when the system is settled run iscsiadm to log into other
sessions and scan for scsi devices. The suse init scripts might be
helpful or if you have  Red hat or fedora those iscsi scripts might help
too.