aspasia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to find out more about the iscsistart and/or iscsiadm
> binary.  Am trying to configure a pilot/proof-of-concept attempt to
> boot an diskless server over iscsi-root running Ubuntu 8.  I followed
> the procedure described in this very helpful paper:
>
> http://wpkg.org/Diskless_/_remote_boot_with_Open-iSCSI
>
> And to even keep it simple, I hardocded the value for the iscsi target
> and its IP address.  During the boot, the modules specific to my HW
> plus the iscsi modules seem to have loaded well.  I also configured a
> static IP address to ensure that network connectivity exists (it does,
> I ping'ed it from another host).
>
> Running either iscsistart or iscsiadm fails though - "no records
> found" when called from the "init" script of the custom initrd;  ...

You should not see that error when running iscsistart, because it does
not use the record db. Instead you pass the values you want to use into
iscsistart.

iscsiadm stores portal/target info in /etc/iscsi/nodes or
/var/lib/iscsi. When you run iscsiadm with -T target -p portal, it run
through the db info for the portal at that tuple, and use that config
info. So if you use iscsiadm in a initrd you have to copy the node info
for it. The node info is what you see when you do

iscsiadm -m node -T target -p ip:port

Or if you really want to use iscsiadm you can create a record in the
initrd by doing
iscsiadm -m node -T taget -p ip:port -o new
then
login
by doing
iscsiadm -m node -T taget -p ip:port -l

iscsistart was created, becuase the db used to require other fun libs
and throwing them into the initrd was a pain for many distros, and so
you could just pass in the value you want to use by doing

iscsistart -i iname -t target -a ip -g tpgt -p port

with iscsistart you do not need the db/node info in the initrd. Just
pass it the info you want to use.